COLUMN Function in Excel: Excel is a spreadsheet program that is developed for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. It helps to perform calculations on your PC. The purpose of this software is to do complicated calculations which are difficult to do manually. With the help of this spreadsheet program, you can insert, organize, maintain, and calculate data.
This article gives you the outline of the explanation, syntax, and usage of the COLUMN function in Excel. Get the official version of MS Excel from the following link:
Description of COLUMN Function
- It is one of the built-in functions in Microsoft Excel.
- The COLUMN Function in Excel returns the column number for a reference.
- For example, COLUMN(J4) returns 1o, since K is the tenth column in the spreadsheet.
- Here, you will see the syntax of the COLUMN function.
- To apply this function on your spreadsheet, you have to select a cell and enter the formula in the following format.
- Once you enter the formula, just click on the Enter button to get the result.
- Reference – Get the column number of a reference (cell or range of cells).
Now let’s grasp some examples of the COLUMN function and explore how it works in Microsoft Excel.
- Initially, you have to open your Excel workbook on your PC and launch the worksheet that has data.
- For instance, we have entered the formula in cell B3, where we have given the reference of the column as D3.
- After entering the formula, you need to click the Enter button to get the output, as shown below.
- In the following screenshot, you can see the applied formulas and their corresponding results.
In this short tutorial, we describe explanation, syntax, and usage of the COLUMN Function with a few practical examples. Drop your comments in the below section. To learn more about Excel functions, then visit our webpage Aawexcel.com.
The following video will show you how to apply the COLUMN function in the Excel spreadsheet.
- How to Use Excel FLOOR.MATH Function?
- How to Use Excel FLOOR Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING.PRECISE Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING Function?
- How to Use Excel GCD Function?