SUM Function in Excel: In math, the addition of two or more numbers is called SUM operating. Everyone knows that Excel provides various built-in formulas and functions to perform mathematical operations.
In Excel, you can add individual values, cell references, or ranges as per your preference.
In this article, we will explain how to use the Sum Function in Excel. Let’s get into this article. Get the official version of MS Excel from the following link:
Definition of Sum Function
- It is one of the built-in functions in Microsoft Excel.
- The SUM function returns the sum of values that are given in the spreadsheet.
- In other words, you can quickly find the total of the selected numbers or range in the worksheet.
- Here, you will see the syntax of the SUM function.
- To apply this function on your spreadsheet, you have to select a cell and enter the formula in the following format.
- Once you enter the formula, just click on the Enter button to get the result.
- Number_1: The first number you want to add. You need to use the cell number as a reference.
- Number_255: The last number you want to add. You need to use the cell number as a reference. The number 255 is the maximum number of counts of cells.
Let’s see some practical examples to understand how the SUM function works in the Excel spreadsheet.
- Initially, you have to open your Excel workbook on your PC and launch a worksheet that has data.
- For example, we have entered two input numbers in cells B3 and C3, as shown in the below image.
- After that, we need to apply the above-mentioned formulas in order to get the total of the given two values in the spreadsheet.
- Next, you will need to hit the Enter button in order to get the result.
- We have come up with another example for your better understanding. In the following image, you will see a range of input numbers, and we want to add them and get the total value in a separate cell.
- After executing the SUM function, you will get the result, as shown in the below screenshot.
Let’s wrap up this article by knowing the usage of the SUM function in Excel. If you have any queries, then leave them in the below comment section. To learn more about Excel functions, then visit our webpage Aawexcel.com.
In this video, you will learn how to use the SUM function in your Excel worksheet.
- How to Use Excel FLOOR.MATH Function?
- How to Use Excel FLOOR Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING.PRECISE Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING Function?
- How to Use Excel GCD Function?
Hi there, I’m Sridhar – an Excel enthusiast with over 10 years of experience working with software. I’m passionate about using Excel to solve complex problems and streamline business processes. Over the years, I have helped businesses of all sizes to improve their operations and save time and money.
Aside from working with Excel, I also enjoy writing and sharing my knowledge with others. You’ll often find me contributing to the AAW Excel blog, where I provide tips, tricks, and tutorials that are easy to understand for readers of all skill levels.