YEAR Function in Excel: Everyone knows that a year is a period of twelve months or 365 or 366 days (leap year). We can consider a year from the beginning on the first of January and ending on the thirty-first of December. If you want to extract the year from the given dates in your Excel worksheet, then we suggest you use the YEAR function.
In this short tutorial, we will help you to know Excel YEAR Function. Get the official version of MS Excel from the following link:
Explanation of YEAR Function
- It is one of the built-in functions in Microsoft Excel.
- The YEAR function returns the year component from the given date on your worksheet.
- In other words, with the help of the YEAR function, we can easily extract the year number from the given date.
- Here, you will see the syntax of the YEAR function.
- To apply this function on your spreadsheet, you have to select a cell and enter the formula in the following format.
- Once you enter the formula, just click on the Enter button to get the result.
- Date: You must enter a valid date format. The default Date format is “month/day/year.”
Note: If the date is not in the valid Excel format then the YEAR Function will return the #value error.
Let’s look at some examples of the YEAR function and explore how it works in the Excel spreadsheet.
- Initially, you have to open your Excel workbook on your PC and launch a worksheet that has data.
- For example, we have entered a date as input in cell B3, as shown in the below image.
- And, we have to apply the above-mentioned formula and hit the Enter button in order to compare the values.
- Once you have executed the formula, you will get the extracted year number from the given date, as shown in the following screenshot.
- Let’s see one more example to make it clear. In this example, we have entered the input data in the range B4:B7, as shown in the below screenshot.
- After executing the function, we will get the year values.
A Short Summary
From this tutorial, we have demonstrated the usage of the YEAR Function in Excel with related examples. Please share your Queries in the comment section you get solutions instantly. Share your suggestion as well so that we can improve our services. To learn more about Excel functions, then visit our webpage Aawexcel.com.
Use the below-given video to know how to use the YEAR function in the Excel spreadsheet.
- How to Use Excel FLOOR.MATH Function?
- How to Use Excel FLOOR Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING.PRECISE Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING Function?
- How to Use Excel GCD Function?