MATCH Function in Excel: Excel is a spreadsheet program that is developed for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. It helps to perform calculations on your PC. The purpose of this software is to do complicated calculations which are difficult to do manually. With the help of this spreadsheet program, you can insert, organize, maintain, manage, and calculate data.
This article describes the explanation, syntax, and usage of the MATCH function in Excel. Get the official version of MS Excel from the following link:
Explanation of MATCH Function
- It is one of the built-in functions in Microsoft Excel.
- The MATCH function in Excel is used to locate the position of a lookup value in a row, column, or table.
- Here, you will see the syntax of the MATCH function.
- To apply this function on your spreadsheet, you have to select a cell and enter the formula in the following format.
- Once you enter the formula, just click on the Enter button to get the result.
=MATCH(lookup_value, lookup_array, [match_type])
- lookup_value – The value to match in lookup_array.
- lookup_array – A range of cells or an array reference.
- match_type – optional
Analyze MATCH Function in Excel and know how it works in the Excel spreadsheet.
MATCH Function supports approximate and exact matching, 1= less than, 0= Exact match, -1= greater than.
- Initially, you have to open your Excel workbook on your PC and launch the worksheet that has data.
- For instance, we have entered the range of input B3:B8 and we will get the position of the specific value using the MATCH function.
- Now, we have entered the formula in cell E3, as shown in the below screenshot.
- After entering the formula, you need to click the Enter button to get the output, as shown below.
In the above article, we have discussed the explanation, basic syntax, and usage of the MATCH Function with a few practical examples. Don’t forget to share your comments in the below section. To learn more about Excel functions, then visit our webpage Aawexcel.com.
The following video will show you how to apply the MATCH function in the Excel spreadsheet.
- How to Use Excel FLOOR.MATH Function?
- How to Use Excel FLOOR Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING.PRECISE Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING Function?
- How to Use Excel GCD Function?