INDEX Function in Excel: Microsoft Excel is a powerful data visualization and analysis program used all around the world. It uses spreadsheets to store, organize, or perform operations with formulas and functions. This application is developed for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. If you want to apply the INDEX function in your spreadsheet, then continue reading this article.
Here we describe the explanation, syntax, and usage of the INDEX function in Excel. Get the official version of MS Excel from the following link:
Explanation of INDEX Function
- It is one of the built-in functions in Microsoft Excel.
- The INDEX function returns the value at a given position in a range or array.
- INDEX is frequently used together with the MATCH function.
- Here, you will see the syntax of the INDEX function.
- To apply this function on your spreadsheet, you have to select a cell and enter the formula in the following format.
- Once you enter the formula, just click on the Enter button to get the result.
=INDEX(array, row_num, [col_num], [area_num])
- array – A range of cells.
- row_num – The row position in the reference or array.
- col_num – The column position in the reference or array.
Let’s look at the examples of INDEX function and explore how it works in Microsoft Excel.
- Initially, you have to open your Excel workbook on your PC and launch the worksheet that has data.
- For instance, we have given the product details in the range B2:D7 and we will get the value of the cell F3 using the INDEX function.
- Now, we have entered the formula in the cell F3, as shown in the below screenshot.
- After entering the formula, you need to click the Enter button to get the output, as shown below.
In the above article, we have discussed the explanation, basic syntax, and usage of the INDEX Function with a few practical examples. Drop your feedback in the below comment section. To learn more about Excel functions, then visit our webpage Aawexcel.com.
The following video will show you how to apply the INDEX Function in the Excel spreadsheet.
- How to Use Excel FLOOR.MATH Function?
- How to Use Excel FLOOR Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING.PRECISE Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING Function?
- How to Use Excel GCD Function?
Hi there, I’m Sridhar – an Excel enthusiast with over 10 years of experience working with software. I’m passionate about using Excel to solve complex problems and streamline business processes. Over the years, I have helped businesses of all sizes to improve their operations and save time and money.
Aside from working with Excel, I also enjoy writing and sharing my knowledge with others. You’ll often find me contributing to the AAW Excel blog, where I provide tips, tricks, and tutorials that are easy to understand for readers of all skill levels.