Excel VAR.S Function: Microsoft Excel is a powerful data visualization and analysis program used all around the world. It uses spreadsheets to store, organize, or perform operations with formulas and functions. If you want to find out the variance of a sample in the worksheet, we suggest you use the Excel VAR.S function.
In this tutorial, we will guide you to learn Excel VAR.S Function with its syntax, description, and examples. Get an official version of MS Excel from the following link:
Description of VAR.S Function
- It is one of the built-in functions in Microsoft Excel.
- This function calculates the variance based on a given sample.
- VAR.S Function will ignore the text and logical values in Excel.
- It can be manually calculated by using the below-given formula.
- Here, you will see the syntax of the VAR.S function.
- To apply this function on your spreadsheet, you have to select a cell and enter the formula in the following format.
- Once you enter the formula, just click on the Enter button to get the result.
=VAR.S(number1, [number2], …)
- Number1 – It is the first input number or cell reference.
- Number2 – It is an optional one. It can be a number or cell reference.
1) The arguments can be Numbers, Names, Arrays, or References.
2) This function ignores Empty cells, Boolean values (TRUE or FALSE), and Text, any Non-numerical values.
The following table explains that the list of functions will consider the text and logical value, but will not consider the text and logical values.
|Function Name||Data Set||Text and logical Value|
|VAR||Sample||It will be Ignored|
|VARP||Population||It will be Ignored|
|VAR.S||Sample||It will be Ignored|
|VAR.P||Population||It will be Ignored|
|VARA||Sample||It will Evaluate|
|VARPA||Population||It will Evaluate|
Let’s see some examples to understand how VAR.S Function will work.
- Initially, you have to open your Excel workbook on your PC and launch a worksheet that has data.
- For example, we have given a range of input values in B2:B10 and we will get the variance of the given samples using the VAR.S function.
- Then, we have to apply the above-mentioned formula to get the result, as shown in the following screenshot.
- Finally, we need to click on the Enter button to get the result.
Here, we have shown how to find the variance using a formula.
Input Empty Cells & Boolean Values
- This function ignores Empty cells, Boolean values (TRUE or FALSE), and Text, any Non-numerical values.
In this tutorial, we guided you to learn the usage of Excel VAR.S Function with its syntax, description, and examples. Leave your suggestions in the comment section. To learn more about Excel functions, then visit our webpage Aawexcel.com.
The following video will help you to know how to apply the VAR.S function in the spreadsheet.
- How to Use Excel FLOOR.MATH Function?
- How to Use Excel FLOOR Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING.PRECISE Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING Function?
- How to Use Excel GCD Function?