Microsoft Excel has many built-in formulas and functions for performing mathematical operations. On that note, if you want to convert a numeric value into a text string with the specified format, we suggest you use the TEXT function. It helps to achieve it. If you don’t know how to use it, leave it to me.
Today, we come up with the proper syntax, explanation, and examples to know how to use the Excel TEXT function in the spreadsheet. Get an official version of MS Excel from the following link:
What is the TEXT Function?
TEXT is one of the built-in functions in Microsoft Excel. It comes under Text functions. We can use this function in our spreadsheet whenever we want to convert numbers to text. In order to convert the given numerical values to text, this function uses format codes. So, whenever you want to display numbers in readable formats, you can use the TEXT function.
- This is the syntax of the TEXT function, in order to apply it, enter the formula in your Excel cell.
- Hit the Enter button.
- value – It is the input number that needs to be converted.
- format_text – This is the format code that you want to apply.
- This function will convert the number into text in a number format.
- It returns the number as text.
What Will TEXT Function Do?
As we said earlier, the TEXT function returns the number as text. This function is categorized as “TEXT” in Excel. In order to use this function, we can give a valid input number in the cells of Excel.
In order to convert the numbers into text, we can use format codes in the TEXT function. The following table will show you format codes that we can use in this function and their corresponding output values.
Applicable Format Codes for TEXT Function
|=TEXT(Aug 1, 2022, “dd-mmm-yy“)||1-Aug-2022|
|=TEXT(July 2, 2022, “mmmm d“)||July 2|
|=The date is “&TEXT((July 2, 2022, “mmmm d“)||The date is July 2|
|=TEXT(6:00 PM, “hh:mm“)||18:00|
Step 1: For instance, we have come up with a set of input values. You can see the decimal values, numbers, & time values.
Step 2: To convert them into text, you need to apply the following formulas one after the other.
Step 3: Now, click on the Enter button every time you enter the formula in the Excel cell to get the appropriate result.
We hope that the given scenario helped you to understand the TEXT function. Kindly move to the below section, if you have any confusion about using this function. We have given a workable example to understand it easily.
This section provides a step-by-step procedure to apply the TEXT function in the spreadsheet in a simple manner.
- In the following screenshot, you can see the set of numerical values and we want to convert them into text using the TEXT function.
- In order to get the corresponding results, we need to apply the following formulas one after the other.
=TEXT(B3, “# ?/?”)
- Hit the Enter button after typing each formula in a cell to get the result, as shown in the below image.
By doing so, you can understand the steps to convert the numbers into text in Excel. Hope it is easy for you.
We have referred to the below-mentioned articles to fully understand the purpose of the Excel TEXT function. They helped us a lot. You can also check out them using the given links: TEXT function, and What is TEXT?.
With the help of the given scenarios and examples, you can easily understand the purpose of the TEXT function in Excel and how to apply it in the spreadsheet. The screenshots help to learn it even easier. Share your suggestions in the below comment section. Thanks for visiting AawExcel. Keep Learning!!
If you want to know what people think about this TEXT Function of Excel, then we suggest you look for it on the Quora interaction webpage. From there you can get to know more about the Excel TEXT function. Here, we have provided the link to Quora’s official website.
The following video will show you how to use the Excel TEXT function in the spreadsheet with proper examples.
- How to Use Excel FLOOR.MATH Function?
- How to Use Excel FLOOR Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING.PRECISE Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING Function?
- How to Use Excel GCD Function?