The Standard deviation is a quantity expressed by how much the members of a group differ from the mean value for the group. We can calculate it in Excel with the help of the STDEV function. Every Excel user knows that Excel provides various built-in formulas and functions to achieve the task.
In this tutorial, we will guide you to learn the usage of Excel STDEV Function with its syntax, explanation, and examples. Get an official version of MS Excel from the following link:
Explanation of STDEV Function
- It is one of the built-in functions in Excel.
- This function returns the standard deviation of data based on the given sample.
- You can calculate the standard deviation using the below mathematical formula.
- To know more about calculating standard deviation mathematically, then visit the following reference tutorial website https://www.mathsisfun.com/data/standard-deviation-calculator.html.
- Here, you will see the syntax of the STDEV function.
- To apply this function on your spreadsheet, you have to select a cell and enter the formula in the following format.
- Once you enter the formula, just click on the Enter button to get the result.
Number1 – It is the first input number or cell reference.
Number2 – It is an optional one. It is the second input number or cell reference.
1) This function ignores the Text, Logical values, Empty cells, and Error-values.
2) The standard deviation is calculated using the “n-1” method.
3) The arguments can be numbers, array, or references that contain numbers.
The following table shows the standard deviation function provided by Excel.
|Function Name||Data Set||Text and logical Value|
|STDEV||Sample||It will be Ignored|
|STDEVP||Population||It will be Ignored|
|STDEV.S||Sample||It will be Ignored|
|STDEV.P||Population||It will be Ignored|
|STDEVA||Sample||It will Evaluate|
|STDEVPA||Population||It will Evaluate|
Here, we come up the examples to clearly understand STDEV Function.
- Initially, you have to open your Excel workbook on your PC and launch a worksheet that has data.
- For example, we have entered the input values in Column B, and we will get the standard deviation value.
- After that, we have to apply the above-mentioned formula to get the result.
- Once you have entered the formula, you will need to click on the Enter button.
- As we already said, this function ignores the Text, Logical values, Empty cells, Error-values, and special symbols.
- In the below-given image, you can see those values, and they will be ignored by the STDEV function.
In this tutorial, we guided you to learn the usage of Excel STDEV Function with its syntax, explanation, and examples. Kindly, share your feedback in the comment section. To learn more about Excel functions, then visit our webpage Aawexcel.com.
In this section, you will see the video to know how to apply the Excel STDEV function in the worksheet.
- How to Use Excel FLOOR.MATH Function?
- How to Use Excel FLOOR Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING.PRECISE Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING Function?
- How to Use Excel GCD Function?
Hi there, I’m Sridhar – an Excel enthusiast with over 10 years of experience working with software. I’m passionate about using Excel to solve complex problems and streamline business processes. Over the years, I have helped businesses of all sizes to improve their operations and save time and money.
Aside from working with Excel, I also enjoy writing and sharing my knowledge with others. You’ll often find me contributing to the AAW Excel blog, where I provide tips, tricks, and tutorials that are easy to understand for readers of all skill levels.