RANDBETWEEN Function in Excel: The RANDBETWEEN function in Excel returns a random number between a bottom and top range. It is one of the built-in functions in Excel, categorized as a Math/Trigonometry Function. You can enter this function as a formula in a Worksheet cell.
In this guide, you will learn the usage of the Excel RANDBETWEEN Function with its syntax, description, and examples. Get an official version of MS Excel from the following link:
Description of RANDBETWEEN Function
- This function returns the random integer number between the two specified values.
- Excel returns a new random number each time the worksheet is calculated.
- For example, RANDBETWEEN(18,30) returns 24 (varies) random number.
- Here, you will see the syntax of the RANDBETWEEN function.
- To apply this function on your spreadsheet, you have to select a cell and enter the formula in the following format.
- Once you enter the formula, just click on the Enter button to get the result.
- Bottom – The smallest value (starting value) of the range.
- Top – The largest value (ending value) of the range.
1) You can also use negative integers as argument values.
2) Use the following formula to calculate the random number between two numbers ( a and b ).
4) If you want to generate a set of random numbers in multiple cells, you need to select the cells then, type RANDBETWEEN(bottom, top) in the formula bar, and press the following keys: CTRL+ENTER
Let’s see a few examples to know how the RANDBETWEEN function works in the Excel spreadsheet.
- Initially, you have to open your Excel workbook on your PC and launch a worksheet that has data.
- For example, we have given the input values in the range…. and we will get the random values between them using the RANDBETWEEN function.
- Then, we have to apply the above-mentioned formula to get the result, as shown in the following screenshot.
- Finally, we need to click on the Enter button to get the result. Drag down the first cell to fill the remaining cells as shown in the below image.
- If you want to generate a set of random numbers in multiple cells, you need to select the cells then, type RANDBETWEEN(bottom, top) in the formula bar, and press the following keys: CTRL+ENTER
- In the following example, we have given the range between 1 and 1000. Thus, it will return the random numbers between the specified numbers.
In this article, you can understand the usage of the Excel RANDBETWEEN Function with its syntax, description, and examples. Kindly, share your feedback in the comment section. To learn more about Excel functions, then visit our webpage Aawexcel.com.
The following video will show you how to apply the Excel RANDBETWEEN function in the spreadsheet.
- How to Use Excel FLOOR.MATH Function?
- How to Use Excel FLOOR Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING.PRECISE Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING Function?
- How to Use Excel GCD Function?
Hi there, I’m Sridhar – an Excel enthusiast with over 10 years of experience working with software. I’m passionate about using Excel to solve complex problems and streamline business processes. Over the years, I have helped businesses of all sizes to improve their operations and save time and money.
Aside from working with Excel, I also enjoy writing and sharing my knowledge with others. You’ll often find me contributing to the AAW Excel blog, where I provide tips, tricks, and tutorials that are easy to understand for readers of all skill levels.