We all know that multiplication is a basic arithmetic operation that combines two or more numeric values to get the product as a result. If we have larger data in the spreadsheet and we want to find a product of each value stored in a row, then we cannot do that manually without any mistakes. For that, we can make use of this simple PRODUCT function in Excel.
In this article, we are going to see the Excel PRODUCT Function with its syntax, explanation, and examples. Get an official version of MS Excel from the following link:
What is the PRODUCT Function?
PRODUCT is one of the built-in functions in Microsoft Excel. It comes under Math functions. We can use this function in our spreadsheet whenever we want to multiply numbers in the range to get the product value.
- This is the basic syntax of the Excel PRODUCT Function.
=PRODUCT(number1, [number2], …)
- number1 – It is the first number to multiply.
- number2 – This is optional. It is the second number to multiply.
- This function is used to multiply numbers in the given range to get the product.
4) Return Value
- It returns the product of given numbers.
1) This function accepts up to 255 numbers.
2) If you give any text, logical values, or empty cells as inputs, it just ignores them.
What Will PRODUCT Function Do?
As we said earlier, the MOD function will return the product of all the given input numbers. This function is categorized as “Math” in Excel. Let’s see an example scenario to make you understand it easily.
Step 1: For example, we have a certain number of objects and their price (for one piece) and we want to find the total price of them. For that, we can use this PRODUCT function.
Step 2: Now, we need to apply the following formula in any cell where we want to get the result.
Step 3: Now, click on the Enter button to get the result.
Step 4: To fill down the remaining cells, you just drag down the first cell. It will auto-fill the remaining cells as shown in the below screenshot.
We hope that the given scenario helped you to understand the PRODUCT function. Move to the below section if you have any confusion related to the working nature of this function.
Here we will see how to apply the PRODUCT function in the spreadsheet with simple examples.
- Suppose you want to get the product of two numbers, then you can directly apply it to the formula.
- For example, we want to multiply the numbers 5678 and 3. We can apply the following formula in a cell where we want the result.
- Hit the Enter button to get the result, as shown in the below image.
- If you give any text, logical values, or empty cells as inputs, it just ignores them.
To understand the usage of the PRODUCT function, we have referred to the following articles. They helped us to know the purpose of this function. You can also check them out using the links: PRODUCT function, and What is PRODUCT in maths?.
With the help of the given scenarios and examples, you can easily understand the purpose of the PRODUCT function in Excel and how to apply it in the spreadsheet. The screenshots help to learn it even easier. Drop your feedback in the below comment section. Thanks for visiting AawExcel. Keep Learning!!
If you want to know what people think about this PRODUCT Function of Excel, then we suggest you look for it on the Quora interaction webpage. From there you can get to know more about the Excel PRODUCT function. Here, we have provided the link to Quora’s official website.
The following video will show you how to use the Excel PRODUCT function in the spreadsheet with proper examples.
- How to Use Excel FLOOR.MATH Function?
- How to Use Excel FLOOR Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING.PRECISE Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING Function?
- How to Use Excel GCD Function?