Generally, a month is a unit of time used with calendars. And we all use Calendars for scheduling any events in our lifetime. In Excel, we can print the numerical value of the particular month based on the given date. For that, it offers a special function called “MONTH.” With the help of this function, we can get the month component of a date as a number.
In this article, we will let you understand the simple syntax, explanation, and examples of the Excel MONTH function. Get an official version of MS Excel from the following link:
What is the MONTH Function?
MONTH is one of the built-in functions in Microsoft Excel. It comes under Date and Time functions. We can use this function in our spreadsheet whenever we want to print the corresponding numerical value of the month based on the given dates.
- serial_number – It is the valid Excel date.
- It extracts the month as a number between 1 and 12 from the given date.
- It returns a number between 1 and 12.
What Will MONTH Function Do?
As we said earlier, the MONTH function returns the valid number between 1 and 12 based on the given date. This function is categorized as “Date & Time” in Excel. In order to use this function, we can give a valid date as input in the cells of Excel.
For instance, we have come up with meeting dates for the organization. For that, we have listed a set of dates in a table. In order to get the numerical value of the given dates, we can use this function.
For that, we need to apply the following formula.
Now, click on the Enter button to execute it and get the result.
To fill down the remaining cells, we just need to drag down the first cell. It will automatically refill the below cells one after the other.
We hope that the given scenario helped you to understand the MONTH function. If still you have any confusion, then move to the below section, where we will show you a simple example.
Let’s see a simple example to know how to use the MONTH function in the spreadsheet.
- The following screenshot has shown the interview dates scheduled for an HR. We have given the date value for each newbie. There are a total of 8 students.
- In order to get the corresponding month number, we need to apply the following formula.
- Once you have entered the formula, hit the Enter button to get the result, as shown in the below screenshot.
- To fill the remaining cells, you need to drag down the first cell. It will automatically fill the below values in the range.
By doing so, you can easily get the specific month value in Excel. Hope it is easy for you.
We have referred to the below-mentioned articles to fully understand the purpose of the Excel MONTH function. They helped us a lot. You can also check out them using the given links: MONTH function, and MONTH in Math.
With the help of the given scenarios and examples, you can easily understand the purpose of the MONTH function in Excel and how to apply it in the spreadsheet. The screenshots help to learn it even easier. Share your suggestions in the below comment section. Thanks for visiting AawExcel. Keep Learning!!
If you want to know what people think about this MONTH Function of Excel, then we suggest you look for it on the Quora interaction webpage. From where you can get to know more regarding the Excel MONTH function. Here, we have provided the link to Quora’s official website.
The following video will show you how to use the Excel MONTH function in the spreadsheet with proper examples.
- How to Use Excel FLOOR.MATH Function?
- How to Use Excel FLOOR Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING.PRECISE Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING Function?
- How to Use Excel GCD Function?