Generally, the hour is a unit of time in a day. A day has twenty-four hours. Each hour has 60 minutes. In Excel, we can print the numerical value of the particular time value. For that, it offers a special function called “HOUR.” With the help of this function, we can get the hour component of a time as a number.
In this article, we will let you understand the simple syntax, explanation, and examples of the Excel HOUR function. Get an official version of MS Excel from the following link:
What is the HOUR Function?
HOUR is one of the built-in functions in Microsoft Excel. It comes under Date and Time functions. We can use this function in our spreadsheet whenever we want to print the corresponding numerical value of the given time value in AM or PM.
- serial_number – It is the valid Excel time.
- This function returns the hour component of a time as a number between 0 – 23.
- It returns a number between 0 and 23.
What Will HOUR Function Do?
As we said earlier, the HOUR function returns the valid number between 0 and 23 based on the given time value. This function is categorized as “Date & Time” in Excel. In order to use this function, we can give a valid time value in the cells of Excel.
For instance, we have come up with meeting timings for the organization. For that, we have listed a set of time values in a table. In order to get the numerical value of the given time values, we can use this function.
For that, we need to apply the following formula.
Now, click on the Enter button to execute it and get the result.
To fill down the remaining cells, we just need to drag down the first cell. It will automatically refill the below cells one after the other.
We hope that the given scenario helped you to understand the HOUR function. If still you have any confusion, then move to the below section, where we will show you a simple example.
Let’s see a simple example to know how to use the HOUR function in the spreadsheet.
- The following screenshot has shown the interview timings scheduled for an HR. We have given the time value for each newbie. There are a total of 8 students.
- In order to get the hour values, we need to apply the following formula.
- Once you have entered the formula, hit the Enter button to get the result, as shown in the below screenshot.
- To fill the remaining cells, you need to drag down the first cell. It will automatically fill the below values in the range.
By doing so, you can easily get the specific hour value in Excel. Hope it is easy for you.
We have referred to the below-mentioned articles to fully understand the purpose of the Excel HOUR function. They helped us a lot. You can also check out them using the given links: HOUR function, and HOUR in Math.
With the help of the given scenarios and examples, you can easily understand the purpose of the HOUR function in Excel and how to apply it in the spreadsheet. The screenshots help to learn it even easier. Share your suggestions in the below comment section. Thanks for visiting AawExcel. Keep Learning!!
If you want to know what people think about this HOUR Function of Excel, then we suggest you look for it on the Quora interaction webpage. From where you can get to know more regarding the Excel HOUR function. Here, we have provided the link to Quora’s official website.
The following video will show you how to use the Excel HOUR function in the spreadsheet with proper examples.
- How to Use Excel FLOOR.MATH Function?
- How to Use Excel FLOOR Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING.PRECISE Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING Function?
- How to Use Excel GCD Function?