Excel is a spreadsheet program that is developed for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. It helps to perform calculations on your PC. The purpose of this software is to do complicated calculations which are difficult to do manually. With the help of this spreadsheet program, you can insert, organize, maintain, manage, and calculate data.
This article will show you how to use the Excel CELL function in the worksheet. Get an official version of MS Excel from the following link:
- Here, you will see the syntax of the CELL function.
- To apply this function on your spreadsheet, you must select a cell and enter the formula in the following format.
- Once you enter the formula, click the Enter button to get the result.
- info_type – It is the type of information to return about the reference.
- reference – This is an optional one. The reference from which to extract information.
What will CELL Function do?
It is one of the built-in functions in Microsoft Excel. This function returns the information about a cell. To be more precise, with the help of this function, you can extract the details like cell address, cell format, and value. You can apply this function to do the following actions on your spreadsheet.
- Get Cell Address – It helps to extract the address of the specific cell in the spreadsheet.
- To know the Format of Cell – Use CELL function to know whether the specified cell is formatted or not.
- Retrieve Cell Contents – In order to get the date of the cell, we can use this function.
- Determine the Color of Cell – This function allows you to determine the color of a specific cell.
For example, if you want to get the name of a specific student from the huge list on a separate sheet in your workbook, then you can use this CELL function. To do so, follow the below steps.
The following image will show you a list of student names and their marks, from this range we want to get the data from cell B2.
Now, move to another sheet on the same workbook and type the following formula in any cell.
After entering the formula, click on the Enter button to execute it and get the result. We hope that this scenario helps you understand the basic concept of the Excel CELL function.
We hope that the above-given scenario makes you understand the working nature of the Excel CELL function. If you still have some doubts and want to learn it with simple examples. Then jump to the next section where you can see alternate examples which will definitely help you.
Let’s see examples to understand how to use the CELL Function.
- Initially, you must open your Excel workbook on your PC and launch the worksheet with data.
- For example, we have given the input values in the range B2:C7. And we will get the information about the cell using the CELL function.
- Then, you must enter the formula in the cell below to get the result.
- After entering the formula, you need to click the Enter button to get the output.
- Once you get the output for the first cell, then you need to drag down the cell to fill in the remaining values.
So far, we have understood that the CELL function is flexible and can be used for various purposes as we discuss in the above section. And with the help of provided examples, you have clearly learned when, where, and how to use the Excel CELL function in your spreadsheet. Drop your feedback in the below comment section. To learn more about Excel functions, then visit our webpage, Aawexcel.com.
If you want to know what people think about this CELL Function of Excel, then we suggest you look for it on the Quora interaction webpage. From where you can get to know more regarding the Excel CELL function. Here, we have provided the link to Quora’s official website: Excel CELL function.
The following video will show you how to apply the CELL function in the Excel spreadsheet.
- How to Use Excel FLOOR.MATH Function?
- How to Use Excel FLOOR Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING.PRECISE Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING Function?
- How to Use Excel GCD Function?
Deepak is an Excel enthusiast and data analyst with over 5 years of experience in the field. I’m a renowned author for AAW Excel who connects with a committed group of Excel users by imparting his professional knowledge and helpful advice. No matter your level of Excel proficiency, my articles and tutorials will teach you something new and beneficial. Connect me via my social links!… Mastodon & More!