With the help of the Microsoft Excel workbook, we can perform various mathematical operations easily which are too difficult to do manually. Whenever you want to do calculations with time values, make use of this TIMEVALUE function. Excel provides this function as a built-in feature that can easily convert the time value which is given as text in the worksheet into a decimal number. The output decimal value represents the duration between two times.
This number can be ranged between 0 and 0.99988426. This post will let you understand how to apply the Excel TIMEVALUE function in the worksheet to get the corresponding decimal values for the given input time. We have provided the proper syntax and examples for your quick learning. Get the official version of MS Excel from the following link:
Description of TIMEVALUE Function
- It is one of the built-in functions in Microsoft Excel.
- This function returns the decimal number of a given time represented by a text string.
- You can get the output decimal value between 0 and 0.99988426.
- For example, if we give “=TIMEVALUE(“10:00 AM”)” in a cell, then we will get the output decimal value as “0.4167.”
- Here, you will see the syntax of the TIMEVALUE function.
- To apply this function on your spreadsheet, you have to select a cell and enter the formula in the following format.
- Once you enter the formula, just click on the Enter button to get the result.
- time_text – It indicates the input time in the text format.
What will TIMEVALUE Function do?
Let us see one scenario to understand the usage of the TIMEVALUE function clearly. It is one of the convertible functions in Microsoft Excel. For instance, In the clinic, they used to track the start and end times of the counseling sessions of patients regularly and maintain the record to know the duration of each session. We can do that with a simple calculation.
Here are details of the patient and it contains the time duration of the session. We are going to calculate the time duration and convert it into a decimal value. Then multiply that value to know the total hours of the session per day.
Now, we will apply the following formula in a cell where we want to get the total time duration based on given start and end times.
After entering the formula, click on the Enter button to execute it and get the result. It will calculate the total hours of counseling sessions that had attended by the specific patient.
From this scenario, you can understand the main purpose of the TIMEVALUE function. To know how to apply the TIMEVALUE function effectively on your worksheet, utilize the following examples which will give the instructions crisp and clear.
Let’s look at some examples of the TIMEVALUE function and explore how to use it in Microsoft Excel.
- Initially, you have to open your Excel workbook on your PC and launch a worksheet that has data.
- In the following example, we have directly given the input time value in the formula. It is one method to use this function on your spreadsheet.
- After entering the formula, you can click on the Enter button to get the corresponding decimal number, as shown in the below screenshot.
- You can see the input values in the range B3:B7 and we will get their corresponding decimal numbers using the TIMEVALUE function.
- Enter the above-mentioned formula in the cell where you want to get the result.
- Once you have entered the formula, you will get the result as shown in the below screenshot.
Thus, we have known the usage of the TIMEVALUE function in Excel and from now onwards you can easily convert the time durations represented in text into a decimal value. We can also use this resulting value to make basic mathematical operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
Kindly drop your feedback in the below comment section. To learn more about Excel functions, then visit our webpage Aawexcel.com.
In order to know what is the opinion of others regarding the TIMEVALUE function, you can check it out on the Quora interaction webpage. From there you can find many discussions of this function.
To know quickly how to use the TIMEVALUE function in the worksheet with its syntax, refer to the following video.
- How do we use the HEX2OCT function in Excel?
- How do you use Excel IMPRODUCT Function?
- How can we use the Excel RANK function?
- How can we apply ROUNDDOWN Function in Excel?
Hi there, I’m Sridhar – an Excel enthusiast with over 10 years of experience working with software. I’m passionate about using Excel to solve complex problems and streamline business processes. Over the years, I have helped businesses of all sizes to improve their operations and save time and money.
Aside from working with Excel, I also enjoy writing and sharing my knowledge with others. You’ll often find me contributing to the AAW Excel blog, where I provide tips, tricks, and tutorials that are easy to understand for readers of all skill levels.