The maximum value is the largest number of a set of values. Sometimes, we want to get the largest value from the list, it can be a score or price, etc. For that, you can use a simple formula in Excel. In this tutorial, we will see how to get the maximum value from a set of data based on multiple criteria in Excel. Get an official version of MS Excel from the following link:
Here we come up with a simple formula to find the maximum value in a range with multiple criteria in the worksheet.
- MAX – The MAX Function helps to return the largest numeric value from the range of input values.
- IF – This function will return one value for a TRUE result, and another for a FALSE result. Read more on the IF Function.
- Values – It represents the input values from the given worksheets.
- Comma symbol (,) – It is a separator that helps to separate a list of values.
- Parenthesis () – The main purpose of this symbol is to group the elements.
- Criteria – It is the specific month that wants to find the maximum value.
- Range – It represents the input ranges.
How to Apply Formula to Get Maximum Value?
In order to extract the maximum value from the range of input values from Excel, we can use an Excel formula. This formula can make use of the IF function and MAX Function of Excel. As we said earlier, the IF function returns the result based on the given condition. Whereas, the MAX function returns the largest value in the selected array.
For instance, we have given a list of items that are sold in the specific three months for the last three years in a stationery shop. We need to find the specific item that sold for the highest price from the list. For that, we can apply a formula to find out the result.
Use the below-mentioned formula in any cell where you want to get the output result.
Once you have entered the formula, click on the Enter button to execute it and get the result. You will get the maximum price value for the specific item.
If the above-given scenario is not enough to understand this formula and want to learn this with a simple example, kindly move to the following section.
Here we come up with a simple example to know how to apply this Excel formula in the spreadsheet.
- In the below screenshot, we have given the student’s mark details. We want to get the highest score of a particular student in a specific subject. We need to consider all the tests that are conducted in the last six months.
- Apply the below-given formula to get the result on your spreadsheet.
- You have to press the Enter button to get the result.
From this guide, you can easily learn the simple formulas used for finding the maximum value based on multiple criteria in Excel. Hope you like this article. Don’t forget to share your worthwhile feedback. For more updates keep in touch with our website AawExcel and Excel Formulas!
The below-given video will show how to apply an Excel formula to find the maximum value based on multiple criteria.
- How to Use Excel FLOOR.MATH Function?
- How to Use Excel FLOOR Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING.PRECISE Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING Function?
- How to Use Excel GCD Function?
Deepak is an Excel enthusiast and data analyst with over 5 years of experience in the field. I’m a renowned author for AAW Excel who connects with a committed group of Excel users by imparting his professional knowledge and helpful advice. No matter your level of Excel proficiency, my articles and tutorials will teach you something new and beneficial. Connect me via my social links!… Mastodon & More!