Sometimes, we want to find the occurrences of a specific character in a word. Instead of counting it manually, we can use the Excel COUNTCHAR function. In this article, we will guide you to know the simple and useful functions of Excel. This page will describe the Formula to Count the Occurrences of a Character in a String with its suitable example. Get an official version of MS Excel from the following link:
Here we come up with a simple formula to find the total occurrences of a character in a string in the specified cell.
- COUNTCHAR Function – This function returns the total occurrences of a specified character in the selected value.
- Input value – It represents the input values from the given worksheets.
- Character – A character that we need to count the occurrences of.
- Comma symbol (,) – It is a separator that helps to separate a list of values.
- Parenthesis () – The main purpose of this symbol is to group the elements.
How to Apply Formula to Count Occurrences of a Character?
In order to find the total occurrences of a character in a specific value in Excel, we can use an Excel formula. This formula can make use of the COUNTCHAR function of Excel. As we said earlier, the COUNTCHAR function returns the total occurrences of a specific character.
For instance, we have given a word “Excel” and we want to find the occurrences of the character “e” from it. You need to know that the COUNTCHAR function is case-sensitive.
Use the below-mentioned formula in any cell where you want to get the output result.
Once you have entered the formula, click on the Enter button to execute it and get the result.
If the above-given scenario is not enough to understand this formula and want to learn this with a simple example, kindly move to the following section.
Here we come up with a simple example to know how to apply this Excel formula in the spreadsheet.
- In the below screenshot, we have given a set of names and we want to find the occurrences of the character “a” from each name.
- Apply the below-given formula to get the result on your spreadsheet.
- You have to press the Enter button to get the result.
- In order to fill the remaining cells, you will have to drag down the first output cell, it will auto-fill the remaining cells as shown in the below image.
From this article, we explained the information on the function and formula used to count the occurrences of a character from a string in Excel. Kindly, drop your feedback in the below comment section. Thank you so much for Visiting Our Site!! Continue learning on AawExcel!
The below-given video will show how to apply an Excel formula to count the occurrences of a character from a string in Excel.
- How to Use Excel FLOOR.MATH Function?
- How to Use Excel FLOOR Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING.PRECISE Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING Function?
- How to Use Excel GCD Function?