Replace Function in Excel: Excel is a spreadsheet program that is developed for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. It helps to perform calculations on your PC. The purpose of this software is to do complicated calculations which are difficult to do manually. With the help of this spreadsheet program, you can insert, organize, maintain, manage, and calculate data.
This article describes the explanation, syntax, and usage of the Replace function in Microsoft Excel. Get the official version of MS Excel from the following link:
Explanation of REPLACE Function
- It is one of the built-in functions in Microsoft Excel.
- The Excel Replace function replaces characters specified by location in a given text string with another text string.
- Here, you will see the syntax of the REPLACE function.
- To apply this function on your spreadsheet, you have to select a cell and enter the formula in the following format.
- Once you enter the formula, just click on the Enter button to get the result.
=REPLACE(old_text, start_num, num_chars, new_text)
- old_text – Text to replace.
- start_num – The starting location in the text to search.
- num_chars – The number of characters to replace.
- new_text – The text to replace the old_text with.
Let’s look at the examples of Replace function and explore how it works in Microsoft Excel.
- Initially, you have to open your Excel workbook on your PC and launch the worksheet that has data.
- For example, we have given the input value in cell B3 and we will change the year using the REPLACE function.
- Then, you have to enter the formula in the cell as shown below to get the result.
- After entering the formula, you need to click the Enter button to get the output.
- In the following image, you can see the range of input values and we have applied the REPLACE function to change the year.
- Once you get the output for the first cell, then you just need to drag down the cell to fill the remaining values.
In the above article, we have discussed the explanation, syntax, and usage of the REPLACE Function with a few practical examples. Kindly leave your suggestions in the below comment section. To learn more about Excel functions, then visit our webpage Aawexcel.com.
The following video will show you how to apply the REPLACE function in the Excel worksheet with a few examples.
- How to Use Excel FLOOR.MATH Function?
- How to Use Excel FLOOR Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING.PRECISE Function?
- How to Use Excel CEILING Function?
- How to Use Excel GCD Function?
Deepak is an Excel enthusiast and data analyst with over 5 years of experience in the field. I’m a renowned author for AAW Excel who connects with a committed group of Excel users by imparting his professional knowledge and helpful advice. No matter your level of Excel proficiency, my articles and tutorials will teach you something new and beneficial. Connect me via my social links!… Mastodon & More!